Sunday, August 22, 2010

Wrapping up week one

Can someone explain this bathroom?
So this is just going to be some interesting points from the week.

I found out that we have a tournament starting Thursday with the local teams. This will be my test. This is when everything is on the line. I will be ready. I am ready. I've been ready.

I have gotten adjusted to their eating schedule. I have come to terms with the fact that they don't eat a big breakfast, and they only eat twice a day. I start the day by eating bread and juice at breakfast and then I got to practice. When we are done with practice I head to the restaurant, loosen my belt, and get ready to do some work. I eat so much that I don't have to eat again until 8. At one point the waiters at the restaurant didn't believe me when I kept ordering food. They thought that I didn't understand what I was doing. But I knew. I ate like a bear before winter. They started calling my "fatty" in Spanish, but I didn't care. I ate the amount of four meals and two. Problem solved!

I'm still not fully acclimated to their way of greeting here. I mean most of the time they shake hands which is fine, but sometimes they lean in for a cheek-to-cheek kiss. I just try to stand far away and reach out my hand to greet and most of the time it works. But sometimes...well, hopefully I'll get used to it.

Here are some more things that are different about our cultures:

  • Well my first day here I had some sheep for lunch. It was pretty good actually.
  • Here, they don't really use the concept of standing in a line. When you walk into a store with a lot of people, everyone just goes to the counter. Quite peculiar.
  • I've seen this in other countries as well that I just wanted to point out that dogs roam freely like birds here.
  • Oh yes. Well I was a germaphobe when I left Virginia. Not anymore. I can't be because I would go crazy. They are not as worried about germs as we are in the US.
  • Also, there is no such thing as a "pedestrian". These people drive like they are insane and you cross the street at your own risk because they are not stopping. At all. Don't even think about walking in front of a car. Car accidents are the leading cause of death in this country...enough said.
  • I almost forgot a big one: between the hours of 2 and 5, the city is shut down. I mean shut down. All the restaurants are closed. The grocery store is closed. The toy store is closed. (Don't judge me) I call this time, Nap Time. I'm going to pray that nothing happens to me during "Nap Time" because I'm pretty sure the hospital is closed too! On the flip side, restaurants stay open until at least 2; so they make up for lost time.

4 comments:

  1. Jerome, great to read of your travels. Best of luck. Keep the posts coming. I hope the cultural differences such as language barriers and eating schedules become points of amusement instead of pure annoyance. Stay in touch.

    Trey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is epic! haha...those really "short sinks" in the bathrooms are in Italy, too. I THINK they are for cleaning yourself after you've done your business...I miss you, man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my kind of hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nap time Jerome? Or "siesta". This break was a God send that kept me from spending all my money shopping in Espana on clothes and wine. Looks like you're having a blast. Write a post in spanish!!

    :P ~K

    ReplyDelete