Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Whole New Word -Aladdin

So I figured that I would blog about my time overseas. This is my first attempt at this so I'll see how it goes...

So after a long and sometimes frustrating summer I landed in Rio Tercero, Argentina. It was crazy because I found out on Sunday Aug. 8th that the team, called 9 de Julio Rio Tercero, wanted me to come that same weekend for a tryout. At this point I was still in Virginia with all of my stuff which had to get back to Louisiana before I left. So I set off for Baton Rouge the next day; unpacked, repacked, and set off for Argentina on Friday.

I got into Buenos Aires Saturday morning after a 10 hour flight (luckily I had three seats to lay across). Now I had flown internationally before so I knew that you had to pick up your bags and bring them through customs and immigration. But in Argentina you go through customs and immigration before baggage claim. So after I got through customs and immigration I looked at my last ticket and it said, "Your bags will be at your final destination", so I walked right past baggage claim. Bad Move!

I arrived in Cordoba (an hour drive from where I am) and my bags were not with me! So imagine this: I arrive in an airport in a different country without my bags, my phone doesn't work, I don't know Spanish well enough to communicate what had happened, and I have never met nor seen the person that is supposed to be picking me up... But like being at the free throw line when the game is on the line, I was calm. Luckily the person at baggage claim knew English. They gave me a number to call and said it should be here soon. I gave that number to the agent that was picking me up; he talked to them and he said I should have my bags that day or the next. Great!...I wish.

We drive to Rio Tercero and talk about ourselves and he explained some of the things that I need to know. We arrive in the city, it's small but it is very compact with a lot of buildings so it doesn't feel small. We get there and I had lunch with the coaches, owner, president, and staff.

I'll start a new blog for my in-city adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment