Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Just one of those days...

So I was going to wait until tomorrow to write my next blog but today was just too good not to tell the story. Here's what happened...

You know it's going to be one of those days when you wake up 3 hours before your alarm and despite all your efforts you can't go back to sleep until 15 minutes before your alarm goes off so you wake up groggy. Strike one. 

So yesterday two things happened that are significant to today's story. One, they started painting our court, which meant that yesterday afternoon we had to use a a different gym. Two, they finally gave me and the other American our bikes. Yes, this is a small city but there are still long walks to places that we have to go. There is no way that I am driving in this country so a bike is the way to go.

Fast forward to today. Now when I went to the gym yesterday I got picked up from my hotel and we got there in 2 mins so I knew it was very close. I THOUGHT I paid attention to the route we took so I could get there today. Didn't pay attention well enough.
Strike two.

I know you guys know where this is going. We have practice at 10:30 and even though it's close I leave at 10 to get there. (We usually start practice late so getting there at 10:30 is fine here) I put on my coat and my booksack and head to the gym. I go the route I thought was correct...and I kept going...and going... Now I didn't have a watch on but after about 5 minutes I knew I was lost. I tried to retrace my tracks...but couldn't find anything I recognized and after a while I just kept going around in circles... 

Let me paint you the picture of what I am going through at this time. I'm riding around on a bike, lost, and the only thing the bike is helping me do is to get lost faster. The city has mainly one way streets and the way these people drive I am deathly afraid of riding down a one way and even more afraid of going down the wrong way so I spend a lot of this time on the sidewalk. (A bumpy sidewalk with trees in the middle that I have to duck under; I also have dogs, dog poop, and people to avoid. But there are ramps...just not where you need them to be.) 
So I'm lost, without a cell phone to contact any coaches or teammates; I know enough Spanish to ask for directions, but not enough to understand the response; and by this time I'm late for practice for a team that I haven't officially made yet!

Now I'm sweating while riding my bicycle alllll over the city. I don't have a watch on but I know I'm nice and late to practice. I finally give up and head  hoping to beg for forgiveness later when I see a one way street in the opposite direction that I hadn't been down. I figure I'd give it a try and sure enough I look to my right and see the gym.

Normally at this point anyone would sprint as hard as they can on their bike to get to the gym. Not me. Not in this city with the way people drive. 

-They don't have stop signs here and very few traffic lights, with a lot of intersections. What happens at these intersections with no traffic lights you ask? Well, they come to the intersection slow down to see if another car is coming and then go. If two cars come to the intersection at the same time then the most aggressive driver goes. Again, highest cause of death in this country-car accidents.

I get to the gym and check my phone to see how late I am...it's 10:47. Yes, 47 minutes I was riding around lost. Oh boy. I go to explain the best way I know how to the coach what happened and he just laughs at me. The assistant coach wasn't there so I know he is driving around looking for me. I jump into practice (I obviously didn't need to warm up) and explain to my teammates what happened and they all laugh. 

When practice finished, I went to put on my shirt I had come to the gym with and it was sweatier than the jersey I just practiced in! I was also told 15 different times that we had practice later today at 4, at the same gym. Why yes...I was the first person there at the next practice. What a day!
Black Lance Armstrong? Yes mom, I will get a helmet.
Become a follower! Look to the right!


1 comment:

  1. Jerome,

    My name is Hans Riede, I'm an 02' UVA Comm School grad and a lawyer in the employment group for an international law firm based in Richmond called McGuireWoods (I'm in the Tysons Corner Virginia Office). My group did Larry Brown's contract with the Bobcats, and has repped several other athletes including Michael Johnson (sprinter) and Fred Couples the golfer.

    I'm a big Wahoo fan (football and basketball) and I followed your career and was obviously impressed with the way your game improved between your junior and senior years. You seemed to be a late bloomer but you certainly came on strong your senior year and I think you have the potential to be a serious impact player at the international level.

    I read an article that you were playing in Argentina so I've been following your blog updates. Part of the reason I've been following closely is because I've been to Argentina 6 times (I'm going down for my seventh time in November for a wedding in Santa Rosa (in La Pampa)).

    My wife is from Argentina (from Santiago Del Estero - they have a league A team called Quimsa), and her family is well-connected in that city, and throughout the country. I've also been to Cordoba a few times (you should check out a town called Villa Belgrano - ask your teamates about it - its outside Cordoba and was settled by German immigrants - it seems like you're in a Swiss village in the Alps when you go there and it is noticeably cleaner than your average Argentinean city (no stray dogs, no grafiti, no garbage on the streets).

    I wanted to drop you a line to get in touch, let you know I've been following your blog, and to see if I can help you out in any way (informally or formally). I've got friends/relatives in Cordoba, BA, Santiago Del Estero, who could show you around on an informal basis. You should definitely let me know if you are going to be in Santiago Del Estero for an away game.

    If you see anyone in Argentina wearing V Sabres, its probably one of my relatives. They have shown many of my acquainenances a great time down there, are spectacular hosts, and are always willing to show a fellow Wahoo around town. Not to mention, my brother-in-laws are crazy sports fans - they used to talk about a guy named Cleotis Brown (i met him in Santiago in a restaurant) who played for Quimsa - he was a local celebrity.

    On a more formal basis, I am confident I could broker some endorsement deals for you (I'm not sure what you are formally represented by an agent here or down there) with my connections in the country and with my group's resources.

    Anyhow, best of luck, and feel free to e mail me at hriede@mcguirewoods.com, or call me on my office line 703-218-2115, or on my cell, 703-244-0852, whether you need a restaurant/hotel recommendation, someone to show you around town, or if you want to discuss the possibility of representation.

    Enjoy the adventure and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete