Monday, August 30, 2010

Let the Games Begin...

I have a lot to talk about in this blog but I promise you, you'll want to read it all!

I already talked about the four games that we had to play in four days starting on Thursday. So I get to the locker room and I'm filled with excitement and anticipation. I look down in my chair to grab my jersey, and this is what I see...
Ummmm it's Meyinsse thank you!
Now my name has been misspelled and mispronounced all my life. I've seen Meyinsee, Meyinse, Meinsse, Mayinsse, Mayonnaise (yes, someone actually wrote that), and Menendez (yep, in middle school by my principal. he even said "Jerome Menendez" on the intercom) just to name a few. There are even 4 different ways my family spells our name (Meyinsse, Meynisse, Megnisse, and Menyisse but that's another story). But seriously, on my jersey? Would it have been too much trouble to look at how my name is spelled before you made something PERMANENT. I was already upset because I couldn't have 55. (For some reason they only have numbers 4-15 here) But to misspell my name!?! Deep breath Jerome, deep breath. Eventually, I got over it, put it on, and got ready for the game.

We won the game and I played played well. I started, but only played like 20 minutes because we won by 30. I'll pause for a second to talk about something that I still find strange even though I've seen it quite a few times here. I've explained that the style of play here is different, and the game is way more physical than college. They also don't have any mercy on opponents when they play against them. I mean we were up 30 points in the 4th quarter and we were still pressing fullcourt!?! In the US, that would have started a fight. The game was clearly over and we were still playing hard like it just began. And that wasn't even the worst incident I've seen since I've been here. I came into the gym one time and two kids' teams were playing; the score was 102 to 12 and the winning team was STILL PRESSING FULLCOURT. In case you didn't follow that I'll repeat it; the score was 102 to 12 and the winning team was STILL PRESSING FULLCOURT. Here is a picture of the score... and it's still the third quarter,
Final score 151-21...
When I say kids I mean between the ages of 10-13. This would never happen in America because we have mercy rules and things like that. I guess just another one of those cultural differences.

Back to the games. I talked about how they play a lot more physical than college; they also play a lot dirtier. They hold, they grab, they step on your feet, they flop, they try and say bad words to you in English (it's quite funny). But to them, that's all a part of the game. After the game, they are polite and come together and hug the opposing team and do that kissy thing, followed by the teams eating together afterwards. Time Out. I don't like kissing people that I like on the cheek and I'm supposed to kiss an opponent that I've just battled for two hours and by now hate his guts? I get emotionally attached to the games when I play and I sometimes keep that emotional attachment after the games. For example, this summer I played in a summer league at Georgetown and there were two Maryland players on my team. I hate Maryland. But, I was able to put those emotions aside to play with those guys...but you would will never catch me eating with them! I guess just another one of those cultural differences.

We had another game Friday, which we won by 10. The game was closer than the score showed, and this team was especially dirty. I unintentionally elbowed one of the guards in the mouth on a rebound, however, I apologized but I didn't feel any remorse. By Saturday, my body was hurting. I wasn't jumping and dunking like I was in the first two games, but I still got the job done. We won by 30. (Why yes, we did press into the 4th quarter.) Now Sunday rolls around, my body is feeling better, but we have to play the same team again that we only beat by 10. I played well but I was in foul trouble the whole game and ended up fouling out. (These refs leave A LOT to be desired.) We lost by 4 and it was the championship game which was especially upsetting. I was a good sport even though it was hard. Very hard. Overall I had a good tournament; I averaged about 18 or 19 points and 8 or 9 rebounds a game. 

I'm still waiting to see if I officially made the team, but I will be extremely surprised if I don't. I need to find out in a hurry because I am very, very tired of staying in this hotel...

No comments:

Post a Comment