Sunday, August 22, 2010

Um, Where are my bags?

Black Michael Phelps?
I spent most of Sunday just hanging out in my room and talking to people letting them know I'm ok. I speak with the coach (via John) and he tells me about his coaching style and what he expects. He also says that practice starts on Monday and we'll be having two-a-days. No problem. After four year in Virginia there is nothing that they could do to hurt me right? Wrong! But I'll get to that later.

So Sunday comes and goes...and still no bags. Everyone I talk to says don't worry they'll be there Monday before practice (my bball shoes are in there). So Monday comes. Conditioning outside running hills. Not bad. After we finish I ask about my bags. They say that Monday is a holiday so they won't be here until Tuesday. Definitely Tuesday.

I am an optimist and I am slow to anger, so waiting until Tuesday didn't bother me. I got to practice and I had to use someone else's shoes. I wear a size 16, I was wearing a 14 1/2. Why yes! My feet did hurt! But I was so ready to play basketball I didn't care. Practice started well. We did some one on one drills and I blew by my defender and had a dunk...twice. Four on four was going well until....OW a cramp. I had a cramp in my calf my first practice. I tried to play through it but I couldn't. I'm pretty sure it was because 7:30 and I had only eaten once. Ok Tuesday I would have a new gameplan.

Tuesday. My bags are here right? Nope. Now they say Wednesday. Still feeling optimistic. In the morning we lifted and I did my own thing. No offense but I'm sure I know more than the strength coach they have. Anyway, after that we went swimming. Now, I know how to swim (learned in elementary school), but it's not something that I do often or hardly ever. And it showed. Boy did it show. If I wasn't tall enough to stand up in the water, I wouldn't be writing this blog...

Anyway I survived and had a very good practice. No cramping, but still in 14 1/2.

It's Wedensday! My shoes and my bags are here right? You guessed it, they still weren't here. They said tomorrow...again. This is when I started to get frustrated. I mean how could you blame me? It was day four and still no bags and the two cities are only 7 hours apart. But ok, made it through Wednesday.

Thursday rolls around and I'm not expecting my bags. I was tired of having my heart broken day after day. But today when my ride came to pick me up I heard my three favorite Spanish words, "Tengo tus maletas". (I have your bags)

You know what...swimming wasn't that bad Thursday. Wasn't bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. This post just about sums up why you can excel anywhere. Keep staying positive and hungry (but only in a basketball sense); you've got a mountain of support for this adventure back in the States here.

    Love it: 'No offense but I'm sure I know more than the strength coach they have.'

    ReplyDelete