Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bad hair day

I am in Argentina. There are barber shops in Argentina, but I'm sure none of them know how to cut my hair. I forgot to take this into account when I came here because it all happened so fast and I was so excited. I've been here a little over 2 weeks, so it was about that time to get my haircut. Luckily, my teammate has a set of clippers that he said I could use. He offered to cut my hair for me, but I said, "If I'm going to play basketball for a while, I'm going to have to learn how to cut my own hair"... How many strikes am I on? I've lost count but I'm sure I've struck out by now.

Before


















Obviously I need a haircut. But I didn't want to cut it too low. I wanted start gingerly. Buzzzzzzzzz goes the clippers. My hands quiver. I've had my haircut hundreds and hundreds of times, I'll just do what they did. Simple. I bring the clippers to my head as I look at the mirror. I watch as hair falls into the sink. HAHA! That's not so bad! I continue for about five minutes or so before I stop and realize that I'm actually not cutting that much hair off. I turn the setting a little lower. Still not what I want. It's on it's lowest setting now; I still wanted it lower. Instead of realizing I was holding the clippers at the wrong angle, I get the bright idea of taking the guard off. Well, I can show you better than I can tell you...

During

Dar nit!



















Yep. Only thing to do now is to shave it all off. So I spend the next hour trying to make it all even. I use a piece of a mirror smaller than my hand to try and cut the back of my hair. I end looking like this...

Missed a few spots...














Well, my teammate helped me even it out, and now I look like this...
Depressing I know

As always, I look on the bright side: my hair will go back, this was a learning experience, and I will get to try again. But until next time GOOO HOOOOOOOS!!!!

Sorry, my UVA nostalgia took hold of me. But seriously, if I don't make the team, I am not coming back to the US until my hair grows back!

1 comment:

  1. HA! Well written bro. Good to see you experimenting a bit out there... I've been cutting my hair for a while now- (not consistently, but whenever the mood strikes) so I definitely feel your pain.

    Honestly though, the length you were at before you took your guard off would've probably been just fine haha. It makes a HUGE difference once you actually shape yourself up and get your edges right.

    **Also... try going against the grain for a slightly lower and cleaner cut- that usually helps too.

    Anyways keep at it, and keep working hard out there bro.

    Best,

    Emeka

    ReplyDelete