Monday, January 31, 2011

Maybe We're Getting the Hang of This..

I would first like to say that it's a lot easier to write blogs when we win than when we lose. Foreshadowing? Hmm you'll just have to keep reading...

Friday. We were just coming off of our first road win on Tuesday, and we were hoping to carry that momentum into Friday...boy did we ever. Now we have had a few 3rd quarters this year where we couldn't miss, but on Friday it seemed like we couldn't miss the whole game! We had 5 guys in double figures, and we ended up winning by 41! Wow. Sweet revenge too because the last time we played that team on the road they beat us by 30.

Now to Sunday. Another game that we definitely need to win. It was a hot day as usual during the summer. I had gone through my usual routine: I arrived at the same time I always do and I had gone through my usual pregame warmup routine. We then had our halftime speech. When we came outside to go back into the gym, I had realized that it was significantly cooler than it was before...too cool in fact. I looked up to the sky and saw lightning. Uh oh. 

I know you guys remember me talking about how the gym has leaked before during practice right? Well, up until this point we have been lucky enough that it has never rained during a game...let's just say our luck ran out. Before we could finish warming up it started thunderstorming. I mean THUNDERSTORMING. It was raining cats, dogs, chickens, monkeys, and I think I even saw a zebra fall from the sky. (Yeah I know that is a corny joke but as I told someone last week it's my blog and I'll do what I want) Next thing you know both teams had to stop warming up because the floor was covered in towels. I mean covered. There were at least 20 towels on the floor trying to catch the dripping water. We played with dripping water before here in Argentina, but on this court there was no way. There was a meeting between captains and coaches, and it was decided that we were going to wait as long as it took to play the game. 

After 30 minutes, the largest thunderstorm to ever hit Río Tercero (slight exaggeration but not really) finally subsided. They cleaned up most of the water, had spotters for the places where it was still dripping, and we got ready to play the game. The crowd was pumped to get the game started after that long delay, and apparently so were we! We ended up winning by 20 points, and I had a pretty good game: 28 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 blocks. I got interviewed after the game, and when the interview was over I received a bottle of wine! YES! Red wine this time too. I was a happy camper. 

I wasn't really hungry after the game so I decided to take the pizza I had ordered home to eat later. It wasn't until I got outside that I realized that carrying a pizza in a very thin cardboard box on a wet bike through giant puddles would be no easy task. I debated going back inside, but I was feeling good about myself and figured I could make it. Ok. Pizza in left hand, bike in right, I can make it. After wobbling for a couple of meters (metric system in Argentina) I caught my balance and I was on my way home. I'd say it's about 6 blocks total to get to my house from the gym. Right before block two I felt a familiar feeling...I felt the pole under my seat collapsing under my weight. 

Last time this happened I was able to stand up on my bike and ride it to the bike shop. However, this time I had an unstable pizza in my hand , my pedals were wet, and it was after midnight. I did the only thing I could do, I tried to lean forward as much as possible while holding on to the pizza and I prayed that a) the seat wouldn't fully collapse until I got home b) that I didn't drop the pizza c) that I didn't fall off my bike d) no cars came when I was at the intersection because I couldn't brake and the pizza and myself would get soaked e) no cars came because they would probably hit me. At this point I'm sweating about the same as I was during the game. I kept chugging along until finally my seat collapsed! Some kind of way I was able to jump backwards off of my bike while still holding on to it and the pizza and avoiding the car that was behind me and the puddle beside me. Whew! Luckily I was only about a block from my house and I walked the rest of the way. Here is the damage...

The guy at the bike shop called me fat :( 
All is well that ends well, I enjoyed the pizza and had a good night's rest!

I added links on the the right for you to easily access stats, pictures, and I even have a couple of games uploaded if you want to watch. Shout out to Jason Cain because I figured out how to set it up that way by reading his blog. On to the next one...

No comments:

Post a Comment