Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hmm...I'd say the year started on a good foot

After a long week of practice, Friday came and it was game time! I had a few more butterflies in my stomach than usual because it was the first game after a long break, and I was a little nervous that I was going to be rusty... but mmm not so much.

Rewind. Before the game I went into the locker room and I noticed the jerseys looked a little newer than normal. The first thought to come to my mind was, "I bet my name is misspelled." Sure enough...
It was the extra jersey...
No sweat. By now I'm a pro...literally hehe














On to the game. I actually knew one of the Americans I was playing against because I had played against him during one of my summers at UVA. Small world. The game came and went and at the end of it I had 30 points (with a few vicious dunks), 8 rebounds, and 4 blocks and we won by a little over 20. My first 30 point game since high school, and boy it felt good. I guess you could say there wasn't a lot of rust that I had to shake off haha.

After the game, however, I was limping a little bit. I already knew what it was because I've had that feeling before...my toenail got pulled back and it was going to come off. This is the fourth time this has happened to me, but this one was BY FAR the most painful. I had a constant throbbing pain until about 4 am. I wanted to cry, but I'm a man so I toughed it out. Here is a shot of my sock on Saturday; the day after the game.

I would show you the actual toe,
but I want to keep this blog PG
By Sunday the pain had subsided; just in time for our next game. The game didn't start off well for us, but in the 3rd quarter we exploded! We scored 34 points, and everything that could go our way did; finally, to be on the receiving end. How did I do? Well, it was hard to follow up my previous performance, so I only had 26 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks...but we got the win and that's what matters.

But you know what, I have some serious beef that I want to get off my chest: I DIDN'T GET ANY WINE. They teased me with wine at the beginning of the season, and now I don't get any! That's like the only reason I play hard at home, to receive my wine bottle in a brown paper bag with a little green ribbon tied on it. They better be lucky that we don't play at home for two weeks, because I was seriously considering toning it down until I got some wine! I'm just kidding...a little.

Seriously though, I attribute my performances to the day that we had to practice in the gym with no lights. I mean hey, if you can shoot in a gym with no lights, when the lights turn on it's easy! Haha.

I think that's it for now. We head back to Buenos Aires this week and we need to pick up our first road victory. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment