Sunday, September 1, 2013

Patiently Waiting

I've had a blast here in Rio my first three weeks, but I'm starting to get very anxious to start playing basketball. I didn't come here to be a tourist; I came to play and win. I've been working while I've been here I'm ready to hit the court with the whole team and play some games.

I haven't moved into my apartment yet, which means I've had to eat at restaurants all the time. That's fine with me, the only problem I've run in to is using the bathroom in public. For some reason bathrooms in Brazilian restaurants are sometimes very very small--like airplane small. The sink is sometimes outside the bathroom completely and the toilet is in a narrow room with a door. Anyone who has seen me in-person knows that I have pretty broad shoulders, so these narrow bathrooms are a problem. One time I went into a bathroom that was so narrow I had to turn sideways to get in. However, once in I couldn't turn back towards the toilet. I really had to use the bathroom and I could not wait to go back to my hotel...so I aimed sideways. 
What was I supposed to do?
In other news, I've had a couple caiprinhas since I've been here because people told me they were soooo good. Eh. I wasn't a huge fan. However, I was invited to a favela with a friend where I tried a caiprinha that was made with some TLC (tender love and care). Absolutely amazing. Sometimes you have to dig deep to find the real treasure. 

I'll return to what I did in the favela, but first I want to talk about the fruit that they have here in Brazil. Usually I drink water (without gas) whenever I go anywhere, but with all the exotic fruits that are available to me, that may have to change. A lot of them I've never had before coming here and I don't know what all of them are called but they are very good. I had seen people eating one fruit called açai all the time but I never tried any...until today. It was a life changing experience. I'll probably eat it everyday from now on. It was the best fruit I've ever had. Apparently it's good for you too, which is good because even if it wasn't I would eat it anyway :)

Back to the favela. I didn't go there to drink caiprinhas, I went to listen to some classical Samba music. I love Samba music. I love it because it just makes you move your body. With all of the percussion playing together, you just can't help but to dance a little. I've tried to pick up on the Samba "dance", but I have noticed people doing many different things. I think its just meant for you to dance and have fun. Here is a video from where I was.


I don't know what they're singing but I like it. I've also been to other samba clubs,w but people say I also need to go to a place that plays Funk. I'm looking forward to it, and maybe it will inspire another blog haha.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Jerome,

    I'm glad you are having a good time in Rio. I was born in Rio, but I've been living in New York for over 16 years, and what I can tell you is that both places have its own thing going on. Learn as much as you can about the culture and don't forget to get extra friendly with the brazilian girls. LOL. You will thank me later. I'm also a huge Flamengo supporter, hope to see you in the court soon. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Oliver,

      Thanks for the shoutout. I'm definitely trying to take have as much fun as possible in Rio and I will definitely listen to your advice ;) haha. I hope to have a great year with Flamengo!

      Delete