Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Night Before Game Day



"...His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy

There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti.

He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready to drop bombs..." - Eminem




Ok so it's not thaaaaat drastic but I am a little nervous because... WE PLAY OUR FIRST GAME FRIDAY! Finally at last. It's what I've been working for all summer, and the almost two months since I've been here (hard to believe it has been two months already!) But yeah, I'm excited and ready to get the season started. I'm also excited to get a glimpse of the "Flamengistas", the fans of Flamengo. I've heard so much about how they are the best fans in Brazil; I've had an opportunity to see them at soccer games but I want to hear them cheering for me :) Here is a clip from the finals last year. The fans have already been great on social media and I appreciate the support.

Game face. Are you ready?

I went to another Flamengo soccer game last week. I am starting to become a real soccer fan now! The game was against Botafogo, an inner city rival, and they were playing in the Brazil Cup. For a rival soccer game though, I must say that the hatred was very mild. My Argentine teammate agreed and said that when the two big Argentinian soccer teams play each other (Boca vs. River) that one team has to enter on one side of the stadium, and the other on the opposite side or there would be a riot. I'm not trying to start any trouble here but maybe Argentinians are crazier about their soccer... Mmm never mind, I just remembered this article. Anyway the game ended in a tie 1-1, but in my expert soccer opinion ;), we should have won the game. Most of the team went as well and it was fun hanging out with my teammates outside of the basketball court.
Those two tiny guys in the middle are on the staff in case you were wondering.



iPhone's panoramic camera coming in handy

On an unrelated note, while I was in the weight room today, my teammate looked at me and said, "Ah, I see you got your hair cut." I turned to him, smiled and said, "I did this myself!" (I have to look good for my first game tomorrow :)) He didn't believe me. He came over and examined my head and asked if I was serious. I proudly smiled and nodded my head yes. He was quite impressed. Who knows? Maybe I'll start cutting my teammates' hair. Then after that open a barber shop: shooting basketballs by day, cutting hair by night. And then when my career is over I'll open up barber shops all over the US and become the greatest barber that ever lived!!!! Haha just kidding.


First attempt: October 2010
October 2013. Oh how far I've come





















In other news, I will have my first visitors coming on Saturday! My friend, Merriam, from college and her mom are coming and will stay for a week. I've yet to go to any of the tourists sites in Rio because I was waiting on my friends to come; now I will have the opportunity! Okie dokie. That's it for this blog, let me get some rest so I can kick some butt this weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment