Sunday, September 19, 2010

Just another day at the office...

This week we started playing in the Argentina Cup. It is a tournament which has all the teams from the top two divisions, and it is the last set of games before the season starts October 15th. Each round is a best of three series.

            Our first game was on Tuesday at home. I had a great game and we ended up beating the team by 16. Our next game was scheduled for Friday on the road; if we won we would be done until Tuesday; if not, we played again on Sunday. They told us on Thursday that if we lost Friday, we would stay on the road until Sunday. Personally, I had no intention of staying there until Sunday. I was confident that we were good enough to beat them again. So confident, in fact, that I didn't bring my computer, my phone charger, or a change of clothes. The only thing I brought as insurance was my toothbrush and toothpaste...


Well, we started out well on Friday but they battled back and - you guessed it - beat us. We were the better team but they played harder and smarter than us and that led to the victory. I did not have a very good game; too many turnovers and I made too many defensive mistakes. Now, we had to stay there until Sunday. I will list how bad I punished myself by not preparing to stay:


1. On Sunday I would have to wear the same socks and the same tights to play in, and I would have to wear the same shirt, pants and boxers until Monday. No deodorant!


2. No computer means no football! No college football. No professional football. I look forward to football all week so this was a HUGE blow.


3. My beautiful iPhone would run out of battery. Now anyone who knows me knows that I live on that thing. When that goes I lose my music, my games, my internet, my communication with the outside world. Or at least my English communication.


4. Back to 2 meals. Ughhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Pretty much the only good thing that came out of this situation is that I have a funny story to tell. Why oh why do I keep doing these things to myself?

We got to the hotel…it left a LOT to be desired. It made a motel look like a five star hotel. I get to the room, and we have a small black and white TV with no cable. There were three beds and four of us in the room; two twin size and one queen. The good news is, I finally got to sleep in a queen-sized bed. The bad news is...and he snored!!!!!

Guess we shouldn't have lost huh?
I sat on the bed wishing I was at the disco, instead I got to watch roaches scurry across the floor.

Before I took my shower, I went to hang out with a few of my teammates in another room. One of my teammates said that when he went to shower, the water came out black! The first thing I thought was, “Great! Now I will smell for the next three days on top of everything else”. I went back to my room to test the shower, to see if I would have similar results. I stood outside the shower with the curtain closed – to make sure that if the water does come out black it wouldn’t get on me – and I turn the knob. It’s clear! Great success!

I started to prepare to shower, and then I stopped and spent the next 5 minutes smiling and laughing to myself about this whole situation. I couldn't make up a better story if I wanted to. I just laughed about the great time I’m having in Argentina simply from all the tiny adventures I seem to always end up in.

Saturday comes. My teammates and I are eating lunch when my teammate asks me, “Are you ready for the game tonight?”       Huh!?!       I thought the game was Sunday? Turns out the game was in fact on Saturday. I was so happy that I gave him a hug; now at least I get to watch the NFL!

Gametime. I put on my same sweaty socks and tights from Friday. BOY did they smell bad. You know you smell bad when you’re in a locker room full of guys and your smell sticks out. Well, I went out there, musty pits and all, and we came out victorious. The stench may have even lightened up the defense haha.




Our next game is Tuesday, but until then I AM READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment