Friday, February 25, 2011

David vs. Goliath

The stage was set. David vs. Goliath. Atenas. Runner-up in the top league vs. Nueve de Julio. First year in the league. Rivals, separated by one hour driving distance. They were second in the league and we were 13th. We had played them 8 times already and only won once, and that was before their Americans arrived. My teammate at this point had played in more games with us than he had practiced (2 to 1). AND we were on the road. We had only won one game on the road all year and that was against the last place team. So on paper we have no chance, right? Well, that's why you play the game.

It was definitely one of the most physical games I've played in, and my teammate said that in his 6 years of professional basketball he had never come close to a game as physical as that. There was pushing, shoving, grabbing, holding, and trash talk. Two mid-air collisions. One ended in stitches and broken teeth, the other a broken nose and a dislocated shoulder. Yeah, not exaggerating on the physicality.



Yeah I got fouled, but look at those triceps!

One of the greatest atmospheres I've ever played in. We had just as many fans as they did even though we were on the road. One side cheering for you, the other booing you! (Made shooting free throws very interesting). There was never a silent moment; the crowd for both sides was electric.

It was a close game throughout, but when the smoke cleared and the dust settled, we came out victorious! I had a great game, 20 and 9, and so did my teammate.

After the game, our crowd chanted at the top of their lungs, "NUEVE TIENE HUEVOS", the staple chant for our team. It literally means Nueve has eggs, it's figurative meaning...well, I'll let you do the math.

When the celebration was over, we stopped at a restaurant to eat. My teammate and I went outside when we finished eating to use the Internet. 20 minutes or so passed, and I noticed everyone was standing outside talking. I was tired and ready to go home, so I went over to rally the troops...and that's when I saw the mechanics...
Yep, another tire needed to be changed. 



At least this time didn't take
them an hour and a half
to get there!




Ironically, the same one as last time. All you can do in that situation is laugh. I was just glad we won.

We only have 12 games left! We are currently in 11th place and 12 teams make the playoffs. So yeah, every game from here on out is the most important game of the year. Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment